Tuesday, July 19, 2011

마지막 인사 (Last Farewell)

Big Bang has even prepared me for leaving by providing a fitting title for my last blog. Video can be found here. Of course, everything else about the song and video doesn't really fit, but since they're so incredible we can bypass all of that.

It's my last few days in Korea and I've been trying to squeeze in some things that I haven't quite experienced yet. Let's see, things I've done...

1) Jjim jil bang (public bathhouse)
       I was a bit concerned with the whole public nudity, but after having taken showers at the gym, I figure how much worse can it be at a jjim jil bang? Let me tell you, the Dragon Hill Spa I went to in Seoul was the fanciest place everrr (not that I have much to compare it to). There were showers as well as places you could sit and wash. Then there were the hot baths. There were soo many! All of which are different; the mineral salt water hot bath, the ginseng hot bath, the functional hot bath, the massaging hot bath, and more. There was one cold bath. And there were more baths in a small outdoors area. Since we were on the 3rd floor and were kind of sanctioned off, visibility was near impossible by outsiders (so yes, I went outside) There were also 2 sauna rooms. But the ultimate highlight of the experience was probably the body scrub. Oh body scrub, how you make my skin feel very smooth. Here's how it all went down. My friend and I were chillin in one of the hot baths, when some ahjummas tried asking us if we wanted the body scrub. We politely declined. Eventually they came back for more. They're like vultures!! Hovering around until we agreed. I figured "when else will I get a body scrub?" So I went for it. We laid down on this table, and the scrubbing commenced. The feeling? Like getting my skin rubbed raw. I got used to it eventually. I saw pieces of something on my skin, thinking that the scrubber they were using had some kind of exfoliating agent on it and it was rubbing off onto my skin. Then I realized "Oh no, that's not it. That is the skin that is being rubbed off of my body.......ew." Not gonna lie, part of it was awkward, as I lay there naked being rubbed down. At one point she remarked on a mole to her scrubbing friend. Yes, I have some moles. Sorry for not having perfect doll-like skin like lots of other Korean girls have. Anyway, we were glad when that experience was over. After all the sauna action, we went back to our lockers and changed into our jjim jil bang gear: a loose shirt and shorts in a light blue color with the dragon hill logo. At this point it was pretty late, so we headed to a sleeping room for the night, which consisted of mats and a "pillow", which was more like a semi-soft brick. I didn't get much sleep. The whole sleeping on the floor thing just doesn't go well with me. Overall, it was definitely an interesting experience. I think my favorite moment waking up was walking around in the morning, seeing people sleeping pretty much wherever; the landings of the staircase, the massage chairs, cushioned benches, and my absolute favorite- in a chair of an arcade game.

2) Yudal mountain
       Somehow I never made it to the most well known mountain in Mokpo. I finally went there last Sunday morning with a few friends! It was a nice hike, but man, was it hot!! And of course, we were the ones sweating while everyone else was totally fine. It was a nice workout though! And we got to see all of Mokpo, as well as some of the islands.

3) Baseball
       I forgot how long it's been since I last wrote! I was able to hit up a baseball game in Gwangju. Go KIA Tigers! Unfortunately, they lost, but it was a great time. It was interesting to see how different the games are here from back home. Outside of the stadium were a bunch of food sellers. What were they selling? Chicken! Didn't get any, but enjoyed looking at all the different stands. We got our super awesome thunder sticks and cheered along with the crowd during the game. The cheering was led by a couple of men and "cheerleaders". And what I mean by "cheerleaders" is more like girls dressed in short skirts and tees dancing along to the cheers. I felt bad for how hot they must have been. Then that thought passed quickly and I moved on. Somehow we were able to accomplish the wave. Multiple times. Yes, the wave made it's way full circle at least 5 times. That's dedication. The spirit that everyone has for baseball is so contagious! Anyway, it was great fun.

I'm finalizing all of my packing and will be embarking for Japan in just 3 days!! Thinking about going back home is exciting and also a bit nerve-wracking. I'm more concerned about leaving and having to say good-bye to such wonderful people who I've been so happy to get to know. Saying that I'll miss Korea is an understatement. This past year has been a roller coaster of an adventure like none I've ever experienced before, and when I return home it will be the beginning of another new excursion in that little thing called life.
Btdubs, kudos for making it through this. I always end up writing way more than I originally intended. And sorry if my farewell seems lame. There are so many things I would like to say, but words are failing me right now. I just refuse to accept the fact that I'm leaving until I'm on the plane. I'll do another blog about my short stint in Japan, and then that might be it for this here blog...eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment